The Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) program is designed to empower our community to take charge of their diabetes. Our goal is to educate our patients living with diabetes and provide them with the tools needed to live a healthy and happy life. Some of the topics the DSME program will cover include:
- Information about diabetes.
- The benefits of blood sugar control and the risks of poor blood sugar control.
- Nutrition and how to manage a diet and weight.
- Exercise and blood sugar control.
- Blood sugar testing and monitoring.
- How to prevent, recognize and treat acute and chronic complications from your diabetes.
- Foot, skin and dental care.
- Family involvement and support.
If you have diabetes or a risk of diabetes, call and make an appointment or ask your physician about referring you to the Sunnyside Community Hospital Diabetes Self-Management Education program. Classes are available in both English and Spanish.